I am priviledged to be one of the judges for the annual Australian Christian Book of the Year. We are pleased to announce that this year's award goes to Child Arise! The Courage to Stand: A Spiritual Handbook for Survivors of Sexual Abuse by Jane N Dowling.… Read the rest
Nicole and I have recently returned from a few weeks overseas – for a conference and some holidays, as we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.
I love to travel. The very atmosphere of airports and airplanes energises me. I love visiting new places and meeting new people.… Read the rest
Generally speaking, there are two types of people in the world – pessimists and optimists.
- believe that bad events will last a long time,
- imagine the worst,
- tend to see themselves and situations as ‘helpless’ give up more easily,
- tend to ‘awfulise’ and ‘catastrophize’, turning mere setbacks in disasters, and
- are more stressed than the average person,
- see bad events as temporary and surmountable,
- are happier,
- and more content then other people,
- have greater coping skills,
- achieve better than pessimistic people,
- their health is unusually good, and
- they age well and live longer.
John 14:1-7. “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?… Read the rest
Your life is your story. Your story is your life.
Like a story, your life has a beginning, a middle, and an ending. There is a theme, characters, subplots (work, family, health, happiness, friendship), trajectory, and tone.… Read the rest
Luke 5:16. As often as possible Jesus withdrew to out-of-the-way places for prayer. The Message Bible
This is an amazing description of how Jesus lived and did ministry.
- He loved solitude - by the sea or in the country, on a boat or in a garden.
- This required withdrawal from people, busyness and activity.
- It was his home base - the place he continually returned to.
- He spent as much time there as possible.
- Out from here, he left to do ministry and serve the people God had sent him to.
I saw this funny joke the other day, which has been floating around, and thought it was worth re-posting:
Dad: "I want you to marry a girl of my choice."
Dad: "The girl is Bill Gate's daughter."
Dad goes to Bill Gates.… Read the rest
Life can be very rewarding and fulfilling. It can also be very difficult at times. Two of the hardest things to do are handling criticism and confronting people, not that we should love confronting people (!) but learning how to do so in a loving manner.… Read the rest
Have you had a conflict lately?
When we are hurt by other people we all respond differently.
David W. Johnson, author of Human Relations and Your Career, has identified five styles of conflict resolution:
1. Some people are like teddy bears.… Read the rest