Did you know that many people spend more time thinking about their holidays than they do their life?
Today on Soul Food we start a new series called ‘Life Think’ – taking some time to think about and reflect on our life. After all our ‘soul’ includes not only our feelings, but also our thoughts and our decisions.
Christmas is only just over 3 weeks away and you know what’s after that – the end of this year and the beginning of a new year. This time of year is a good opportunity to pause and reflect on our life … and to think about the direction we are heading.
To do this, I find it helpful to block out some time to have a thorough review of this year.
Of course, like when we are driving, it is important to be primarily looking forward towards where we are heading … BUT every now and then we need to glance into the rearview mirror to see where you have come from.
To do so … ask yourself some important questions:
- What went well this year – things you are grateful for, that you can celebrate?
- What didn’t go so well – and why? Think about any disappointments or regrets you may have.
- Are you okay with how this year unfolded?
- How would you live differently if you had this year all over again?
- Was there anything missing from your life?
- What lessons did you learn this year?
- What themes or patterns emerged?
As we have said before, experience isn’t life’s greatest teacher. It’s only by taking time aside for reflection that we can turn experience into wisdom for life. It was Socrates who said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.”
Of course, your past does not determine your future. So don’t get stuck there. However, the better we process our past the better we set ourselves up to create the future we desire.
Let’s recap our main points:
- Many people spend more time thinking about their holidays than they do their life.
- Make an appointment with yourself and have a thorough review of this year.
- Tap into the power of questions.
- Your past does not determine your future. You can change!
- Reflection turns experience into insight.
That’s all for today.
See you next week!
You can watch a video of this episode now on the Soul Food YouTube channel.