Jan Hettinga’s book Follow Me: Experience the Loving Leadership of Jesus is an excellent challenge to truly ‘follow’ Jesus, not just believe in him.
Here are a few of his insights, worth reflecting on …
- The ultimate issue in the universe is leadership. Who you follow and what directs your life is the single most important thing about you.
- There is a big difference between ‘believing’ in Jesus and ‘following’ Jesus. We have a major problem in the church today: ‘non-following believers’.
- Find out who Jesus is and what his leadership is really like. Jesus is a leader we can trust. He is the only truly ‘safe’ leader. Yet there is often a reluctance to trust God’s leadership because of transference of our personal experiences on to God.
- Think deeply about why we don’t truly follow Jesus. Diagnose your own areas of resistance. We are often threatened by Jesus because of our obsession with control. Ask yourself key questions such as: What do you expect from God? Does he seem intimidating? Is it possible that you have been keeping your distance from Christ even though you believe in him? If so, why? What keeps you from trusting him and following him? If you were to fully accept the authority and leadership of Jesus as a way of life, what would change? Do you enjoy God? Have you found him approachable, likable and lovable? From your perspective, is God a ‘giver’ or a ‘taker’?
- Selfishness is so attractive. We insist on going our own way and doing our own thing. Yet we hurt ourselves and others in the process.
- Surrender to the loving leadership of Jesus. Genuine repentance places Jesus as leader and you as follower. Invite Jesus into the ‘mission control centre’ of your life.